The Shiva temple in Thirukoneswaram and Thirukkedeswaram were the two Shiva shrines in Eelam which were sung in saivit literature. Just as the histories of Tamil Nadu temples have long been ingrained in the hearts of saivites all over the world, these Eelam Temples also have a special space in the heart of Hindus.
Trincomalee is located on the top of a hill in the eastern province of Sri Lanka, which is home to the world-famous natural harbor of Trincomalee. The city is also known as Trincomalee because of its triangular shape with three hills. The city is also known as Trincomalee due to the famous Thirukoneshwaram temple in the city.
when Portuguese set foot in Ceylon in 1505, The Trincomalee district was divided into four parts as Kottiyarampatru, Thambalagamam Patru, Kattukulappatru and Trincomalee Nagar. all these four divisions were ruled by the Tamil kings.
Trincomalee came under the rule of the Kingdom of Jaffna. However, Kottiyaram was under the rule of the Kandyan kings for a long time. When the reign of Chainlian began to decline in 1551, Kandy gained an uprise. King Senarath of Kandy wanted to remove the Portuguese who had occupied the coastal areas of Sri Lanka. He made a deal with the Dutch for that.
Under these circumstances, the Portuguese were compelled to prevent the Dutch from capturing Trincomalee.
History has it that the Portuguese general Constantino de Sá de Noronha chose the hill on which the temple of Thirukoneswaran was located to build a fort. In this condition, a lot of ancient historical charters are found in the eastern Trincomalee district. There has been a need to record a subject that is still talked about today by time.
The Kudumiyamalai inscription, one of the South Indian temple inscriptions, states that Sadayavar’s son Veerapandian suppressed the Sri Lankan king Bhuvanekabagu I and erected his flag in Trincomalee in the thirteenth century. These reefs are still found on both sides of the entrance to Fort Frederick in Trincomalee.
Also, a small part of the inscription on one of the pillars of the Konanathar Temple, then known as the Aiyarangal Temple, can still be seen below the fish symbol on Fort Frederick’s Gate Pillar. This stone carving is a darshan inscription to settle during the reign of King Kulakkotta.
It is a matter of great concern when we look at the present status of these charters, which are the symbol of the Tamils in Eelam, and describe the history of Trincomalee.
As these inscriptions are being damaged by painting the traffic indicators, the antiquity of the inscription is distorted and its splendor and beauty are destroyed. These inscriptions are more likely to be damaged by its vibrations and fumes of the vehicle passing through the gates of Fort Frederick.
Therefore, the temple trustees of Trincomalee and the Tamil politicians of Trincomalee should come forward to protect this inscription.